||[May. 7th, 2004|12:03 am]
Bah. Not a fun day. Really, it started out mild but I had some hardware to replace on the switch and that was going to be fun.
The night shift leaves and I start the maintenance on some servers. I manage to kill a backup job which I fortunately caught before leaving and was able to manually restart. The server stuff goes ok and then I swap out the module on the switch. It all seemed to go well and I find my link on my laptop was hosed up. It was dropping link every second and reconnecting. I guess I was on that module and the patch is back. Fortunately, I have a second connection (also on that module) that was good at my desk. I will take a 1600 router to work to find the back connection and hopefully fix it. I just hope there are no other surprises waiting for me regarding that switch. To mitigate that, I spent an hour racking and setting up a Dell switch we have from a server purchase. 24 ports of 10/100 goodness I uplinked to a 100 Mb/s Cat6000 port as a 'just-in-case' backup. Worst-case scenario, half the module users get moved over to that switch but since over half the ports were active on that module and I was getting no logging error, I suspect it won't be an issue.
I am convinced our hacky model for patch (and port) management is farked up. I m going to ask (again) that non-used ports be disabled to allow me to keep a real list of used port and who is using them. I suspect there were more less than 6 moves/adds/changes this week and I received zero notices to change the spreadsheets I spent 3 days creating. It is impossible to manage the switch usage when there is no mechanism to enforce it. Besides, most security docs on physical plant management say to disable unused ports anyway. And no more of that 'but you are the only one who can do anything on the switch'...I spoke to the sysadmin and he is perfectly fine learning how to do it. I will even document how to type 'set port en 5/12' so anyone can do it who has to.
rant, rant, rant.